Music Research – Inspiration

We wanted to recreate some music similar to what is heard in the series “Black Mirror”. The only direction we were given by the director was for the music to be tense and mysterious and we thought that Black Mirror fitted into that category well. We wanted the music to sound tense without sounding too sinister or unhappy so when creating ideas I used synthesisers and arpeggiators that weren’t too heavy or overbearing, without too much bass.

This compilation of songs and pieces in Black Mirror helped to inspire the main Basin theme, especially the first piece, as it has a tinkling piano or keyboard creating the melody behind the vocals. I liked this idea because although it is a very happy feeling song it still has a strong sense of uneasiness about it.

I also took some inspiration from this music, mainly for the track at the end, because the rhythmic chimes add a little bit of suspense without being too overbearing and I felt that this was important for our film because it built up to the end of the film without being too dramatic for the visuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG9urgeWj1g