Radio Mic Research

Again from looking at the sound bible there were some aspects that would either be too costly or just ineffective for a project on a scale this small.

But an important section on the book highlights how important people skills are when attaching mics to the actors. This is something I wanted to focus on in practise, because I feel that it is very important to respect someone’s boundaries and put them at ease while still doing your job effectively. The book mentions how you shouldn’t try and converse too much because you don’t want to break the actors focus on their lines but at the same time you need to explain what you’re doing if you are going to do something that might otherwise make them feel uncomfortable. Another important aspect was while mic’ing up someone of the opposite sex was to keep someone of authority present to back you up if the actor makes any claims that you have done something inappropriately. I made sure to keep this in mind and only mic up the female actress while the producer was present as to make sure that I always had someone to witness that I was acting professionally.

The last piece i learnt from this research was something I had been taught by Grant before but had forgotten about, was to make sure that I taped off some of the wire so that there would be less to no noise transmitted from the wire rustling against clothes, which was another technique that helped us to limit noise and improve the quality of recordings we had by the end.